For anyone is interested and able we will be gifting meals to Danyel’s family at our June swap.
Danyel and her family attend the same church as Kristen and I attend. Danyel and her husband have 3 kids- the oldest son has Down Syndrome and is a great joy but requires a lot of assistance and time advocating for his needs. They are currently struggling financially as the father, who was the sole provider, lost his job as a restaurant manager 4 months ago. He has applied for over 100 jobs- none of which have worked out as he was either over qualified or under qualified. Danyel was fortunate to find a job as a para in a school but that job will be ending here in a few weeks when school lets out. Their insurance has run out, one of their cars recently caught on fire so they are down to one car, and the list of financial struggles go on and on. Through their struggles, again and again I have been amazed by Danyel’s strength, hope and trust in God’s provisions.
Here is a snapshot of Danyel’s positive outlook (quoted from her Facebook post)
If “everything happens for a reason” and “God has a plan”- then these last four months have to mean something right? My guess:
1. We REALLY needed the time to focus on our marriage and this parenting gig.
2. He needed to understand the stay at home thing and I needed to understand the working thing.
3. We needed our friendship to grow. Because when no one else knows what to say to us anymore- we still have each other.
4. We needed to learn the fine art of getting by with as little as possible.
5. We had to learn to remain positive and full of hope. Not to say there haven’t been tough days. We just had to hang on tighter then.
6. It’s pretty cool that we can laugh together, and it’s pretty nice that we can cry too.
7. We know what truly matters in life. People and relationships.
8. Love is what everyone needs to make it through anything.(So love everybody because we are all going through something.)
9. I can trust that it will all be okay and so will we.
10. Way down the road when retirement comes- we are going to have so much fun!!!!
Please keep us in your prayers- but don’t worry about us- we are happier than we have ever been.